At the end of February 2020, the University of Groningen Library (UB) celebrated its 405th anniversary with an open day, lectures, guided tours, theatre performances, musical performances and an interactive anniversary lunch for UB staff members. The bustling UB City Centre that welcomes thousands of students every day became a festival ground and was once again the ‘place to be’ at the University of Groningen (UG).
No wonder it was unreal to walk through the empty and quiet building three weeks later. Our slogan ‘University of Groningen Library – where the Shhh happens’ suddenly took on a completely different meaning. The UB did not close during the ‘intelligent lockdown’, and it was anything but quiet behind the scenes: the UB still offered its services to UG students and staff members during the COVID-19 crisis. Even when the Cabinet announced on 3 November that some additional measures were being taken on top of the partial lockdown, the UB remained open. While all public libraries, museums and theatres had to close their doors.
This chronicle describes the adjustments to our services in the period from March to October 2020: our experiences andconsiderations and the preparations to reopen the reading rooms with measures that changed almost every week.
The authors Bert Platzer and Marjan Brouwers interviewed dozens of employees about their experiences over the past few months.
The new normal: Chronicle of the University of Groningen Library in times of the COVID-19 pandemic
Marjolein Nieboer, Director of the University of Groningen Library
As director, I find it remarkable how UB staff members responded to this new norm. Thanks to their dedication, flexibility
and inventiveness, it was possible to maintain the services of the University Library – to the delight of our users.
I would like to express my gratitude, respect and admiration to all University Library staff members. I dedicate this book
to them, about a period which is now part of the 405-year history of the University of Groningen Library.
There are two ways to create new glossary terms in Pressbooks. You can create terms directly from the Glossary Terms tool and then add them throughout the book, or you can create the terms directly from inside the content editor of your chapter, front matter, or back matter.
To create glossary terms through the Glossary Terms tool:
- Click ‘Organize -> Glossary Terms‘ from the left sidebar menu of your book
- From the Glossary Terms menu, click the ‘Add New‘ button
- Enter a title for your term
- Enter the relevant definition for your term, determine whether or not the term should “Show in Glossary List”
- Click Create
You can create a glossary term directly from the content editor:
- Place your cursor where you’d like to insert a new term or select a word or phrase that you want to add a glossary term for
- Click GL on the Visual Editor toolbar to Insert a Glossary Term.
- The Glossary Terms interface will appear. In the Create and Insert Term tab, enter your desired Term (if you highlighted a word or phrase before clicking the Insert Glossary Term button, that word will automatically populate the Termfield)
- Add a relevant Description for the term
- Click ‘Insert’
Toewijding in het nederlands